If you're looking at volunteering, you might want to check out the English Opens Doors programme. You can find more information about teaching in Chile, such as salaries and visas, in FAQ Chile. If you're looking for general information about teaching in Latin America please read FAQ Teaching in Latin America.
Making the Move
Moving is stressful as it is, but moving to another country can be chaotic. Check out 30 Days to Move Abroad, which makes moving overseas a breeze. Teaching English is a great way to see the world, but before you go it helps to get information from people who have done it before. A good place to start is Teach English Abroad: The Complete Guide which has everything you need to know.
Getting Cheap Flights
Travelling the world and teaching English sounds like a dream come true until you have to purchase your airline ticket. Fly Cheap! Airfare Secrets Revealed! and Insider Secrets to Cheap Flights will show you tricks that will get you the cheapest ticket available.
How to Teach English Online and Get Money shows you how you can do what you love while being your own boss. You'll be taken through the steps of opening your own online teaching school and learn how you can teach English online while living anywhere in the world. You can even teach while on vacation.
Be aware that generally Latin American institutes do not get teachers visa. That doesn't mean that it's impossible, however, if working legally is important to you, be sure to ask your employer about visas. If they promise to get you a work visa, but tell you to enter on a tourist visa, be aware that they may not end up getting you a work visa at all. Primary and secondary schools, as well as universities seem more willing to get visas than language institutes.
If they can't, you could always work on a tourist visa. If you go that route, remember it is illegal, however, it can be done. You should find out about overstaying your visa and border hopping. Some countries, such as Mexico are easy to get visas for, others like Ecuador and Panama are difficult and you can run into trouble if you overstay your visa. Some countries like Peru and Costa Rica have many teachers that work under the table and just border hop.
Fluenz Spanish Latin America: Learn Spanish anytime and anywhere. This software works with PCs, Macs, iPhones, Androids, and iPads. With a variety of learning methods, with videos, audio, flashcards, plus 150 lessons you'll be able to go from level 1-5 at your own pace.
Rosetta Stone Spanish Latin America: Consistenly a best seller, Rosetta Stone uses an interactive method to get you speaking Spanish fast. There are games and online lessons to help you take your Spanish to the next level. You can also learn on the go with apps designed to work with iPhones and Android systems.
Synergy Spanish maintains that traditional ways of learning languages don't work because it all boils down to grammar. By starting with 138 words, you'll begin to branch out and be speaking Spanish before you know it.
Current Job Openings
If you're looking for current jobs, try these job search sites. If you're a licensed teacher, try getting a job at an international school. You can find more info in this article I wrote about international schools.
Emails and websites often change, so if you find a school that needs updating, please email me at email@example.com. If you have a school that you would like to add, feel free to email me with the name, website and contact information.
Please go to the websites to see which cities the institute are in as they tend to expand rapidly. Try looking under “sedes” or “centros”
- Berlitz, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Instituto Chileano Britanico de Cultura
- Instituto Chileano Norteamericano, email@example.com
- Intrax, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Natural Learning Corporation
- Wall Street Institute
- Next Level English Conversation Institute, email@example.com
- The Thomas Jefferson School, (Must be an English education major or state certified. Two years of teaching experience and strong recommendations are required.), Av Jorge Alessandri, Parcela 26, Camino Areopuerto Carriel Sur
- Academia de Idiomas del Norte, Ramírez N°1345, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Colegio Ingles de Iquique
- Departamento de Educacion at Universidad Arturo Prat
- British School (Must be a licensed teacher.), Waldo Seguel 454
- The Holistic Learning Center (room, board, and Spanish lessons included. 6 or 12 month contracts), Merced 629, email@example.com
- Bridge Linguatec,firstname.lastname@example.org
- Buford English Center, Padre Mariano 242, email@example.com
- Colegio Tabancura, Las Hualtatas 10650, Vitacura
- Comunicorp, 11 de Septiembre 1363, of. 301, Providencia., firstname.lastname@example.org
- EES Executive English Solutions,email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org
- ELADI Instituto Profesional, Jose M. Infante 927, Providencia
- English First, Hernando de Aguirre 215, Providencia,email@example.com
- ELS International, Fidel Oteiza 1956, Piso 16, Providencia, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Ernst andCompania Ltd., Suecia 42 Of. 702, Providencia, email@example.com
- Fischer English Institute, Calle Cirujano Guzmán 49, Providencia, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Grant’s English, Calle Londres 70, close to Metro Universidad de Chile. email@example.com
- Grange School (Must be a licensed teacher.), Principe de Gales 6154, La Reina
- IBC, Presidente Errazuriz 3328, Las Condes, firstname.lastname@example.org
- International School Nido de Aguilas (Must be a licensed teacher. Employment), Avenida El Rodeo 14200, Lo Barnechea
- Mc Lean Consultores Ltda (native speakers with BA of Ed of uni degree with cert), Monseoor Felix Cabrera 39, 0f . 4, email@example.com
- Natalis Language Center, Vicuña Mackenna 6, Piso 7 - Oficina 4, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Nova Language Consultants, Versalles 3069
- Polyglot, Illavicencio 361, Of. 102, email@example.com
- Professional Language Teachers, Av. Tobalaba 1829 - Providencia
- Sam Marsalli Institute, Av. Los Leones 1095, Providencia, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Santiago College (Must be a licensed teacher. Employment), Lota 2465 - Providencia, email@example.com
- Saint Margaret’s British School for Girls, Calle Saint Margaret 150, Lomas de Montemar, Concon
- Soluciones Educativas Chile, firstname.lastname@example.org
Vina del Mar
- Mackay School, Avenida Vicuna Mackenna 700, Renaca, email@example.com
- One World Nursery School, 6 Norte 767, firstname.lastname@example.org
The LA Job List recommends: