The Ultimate Peru List has even more info about living in Peru, for example, finding an apartment, free time activities, tourism, marriage, settling in, and more. You can find more information about teaching in Peru, such as salaries and visas, in FAQ Peru. If you're looking for general information about teaching in Latin America please read FAQ Teaching in Latin America.
Making the Move
Moving is stressful as it is, but moving to another country can be chaotic. Check out 30 Days to Move Abroad, which makes moving overseas a breeze. Teaching English is a great way to see the world, but before you go it helps to get information from people who have done it before.
Be aware that generally Latin American institutes do not get teachers visa. That doesn't mean that it's impossible, however, if working legally is important to you, be sure to ask your employer about visas. If they promise to get you a work visa, but tell you to enter on a tourist visa, be aware that they may not end up getting you a work visa at all. Primary and secondary schools, as well as universities seem more willing to get visas than language institutes.
If they can't, you could always work on a tourist visa. If you go that route, remember it is illegal, however, it can be done. You should find out about overstaying your visa and border hopping. Some countries, such as Mexico are easy to get visas for, others like Ecuador and Panama are difficult and you can run into trouble if you overstay your visa. Some countries like Peru and Costa Rica have many teachers that work under the table and just border hop.
Fluenz Spanish Latin America: Learn Spanish anytime and anywhere. This software works with PCs, Macs, iPhones, Androids, and iPads. With a variety of learning methods, with videos, audio, flashcards, plus 150 lessons you'll be able to go from level 1-5 at your own pace.
Rosetta Stone Spanish Latin America: Consistenly a best seller, Rosetta Stone uses an interactive method to get you speaking Spanish fast. There are games and online lessons to help you take your Spanish to the next level. You can also learn on the go with apps designed to work with iPhones and Android systems.
Synergy Spanish maintains that traditional ways of learning languages don't work because it all boils down to grammar. By starting with 138 words, you'll begin to branch out and be speaking Spanish before you know it.
Current Job Openings
If you're looking for current jobs, try these job search sites. If you're a licensed teacher, try getting a job at an international school. You can find more info in this article I wrote about international schools.
Emails and websites often change, so if you find a school that needs updating, please email me at firstname.lastname@example.org. If you have a school that you would like to add, feel free to email me with the name, website and contact information.
Please go to the websites to see which cities the institute are in as they tend to expand rapidly. Try looking under “sedes” or “centros”
- Awaiting Angels (volunteer)
- El Cultural (Arequipa and Trujillo)
- ICPNA, (their job listings) List of schools in Lima and around Peru.
- Intrax, email@example.com
- Universidad de Cesar Vallejo (Piura and Trujillo)
- Universidad de Piura (Lima and Piura)
- Adviser Peru, firstname.lastname@example.org
- CEP Anglo Americano Prescott (Must be a licensed teacher), Av. Alfonoso Ugarte 565, email@example.com
- Colegio Lord Byron, Calle Grande 250, Cayma, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Extreme Superior English Alliance, Av Bolognesi 118, email@example.com
- Davy College (teaching license and experience needed), Av. Hoyos Rubio 2684, Casilla 1, Cajamarca, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Excel (mainly a Spanish school, they have some English classes), Cruz Verde 336, email@example.com
- ICPNA, (their job listings) Av. Tullumayo 125, firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com
- Ingles Superior. Owned by a British man.
- Maximo Nivel. Read my Interview with Maximo Nivel. firstname.lastname@example.org
- ICPNA, (their job listings), Av. Giraldez 494 and Jr. Guido 754 and Jr. Ayacucho Nº 169 – 171 and Jr. Dos de Mayo Nº 485, El Tambo, email@example.com
- Abraham Lincoln School, Av Jose Antonio 475, La Molina, firstname.lastname@example.org
- American English, Av Brasil 1090, Jesus Maria, Tel: 01 4231209
- Berkeley School (bilingual school in Lima), they have a good work environment and salary.
- Asociacion Cultural Peruano-Britanico (They also recruit through Babel Fish Recruitment as well. They are the ONLY institute I know that will get teachers a working visa), email@example.com and firstname.lastname@example.org
- Berlitz, email@example.com
- Britannia Teachers Peru (volunteer position), firstname.lastname@example.org
- British Educational College, Calle Los Geranios 315, Lince
- British Master, Tarata 269 Of. 208, Miraflores, email@example.com
- Business Links, Jirón Tacna 873, Miraflores, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Callan English Center, Arequipa 3490, Miraflores, email@example.com
- Cambridge College (Must be a licensed teacher), Alameda de los Molinos 728-730,La Encantada de Villa, Chorrillos, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Colegio Americano, Av. Arequipa 4799. Miraflores, email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org
- Colegio Bruning, Calle Bernardo Alcedo 260, Urb Sta Patricia III Etapa, La Molina, email@example.com
- Colegio Franco Peruano, Av Morro Solar 550, La Molina, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Colegio Magister, Calle Fco de Cuellar, Monterrico-Surco, email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org
- Colegio Mixto Reina del Mundo, Av. Riconado del Lago 675, La Molina, email@example.com
- Colegio Mixto Santa Teresita, Av Surco 255, Urb Los Rosales, Surco, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Colegio Peruano-Britanico (Must be a licensed teacher), Av. Via Lactea 445 Monterrico, Surco, email@example.com
- Colegio Pestalozzi, Avenida Ricardo Palma 1450, Urb. Aurora - Miraflores, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Colegio Rosseau, Los Tallanes 165 Urb. Sta. Constanza, Santiago de Surco, email@example.com
- Colegio Sagrados Corazones, Av El Golf Los Incas 368, La Molina, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Colegio San Ignacio de Recaldo, Calle Tacna 370, Miraflores and Calle Geminis 251, San Borja, email@example.com
- Colegio San Silvestre (Must be a licensed teacher), Av. Santa Cruz 1251, Miraflores, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Colegio Santa Felicia, Cl Los Madrigales 155, Urb Santa Felicia, La Molina
- Colegio Santa Maria (boys' school), La Floresta 250, Surco, email@example.com
- Colegio Santa Margarita, Av. Manuel Olguin 961, Monterrico, Surco, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Colegio Santisimo, Calle Mayorazgo 176, Chacarillas, San Borja, email@example.com
- Colegio Villa Caritas and Colegio San Pedro, Calle Hurón 405 Rinconada del Lago, La Molina, Maqui Torres, firstname.lastname@example.org or Alejandro Castro, email@example.com
- Colegio Villa Maria (girls' school), Av La Laguna 280, La Planicie, La Molina, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Colegio Villa Maria (girls' pre-school. Primary only), Calle Contralmirante Montero 225, Miraflores, email@example.com
- English Life, Av. La Paz 434 (Edificio Ejecutivo), Interior 602, Miraflores. Valerie Watson, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Euroidiomas, 272 Av. Santa Cruz, San Isidro and Av. Santa Cruz 111, Miraflores
- FDR. American School of Lima (Licensed teachers only. Apply online), Av. Las Palmeras 325 Camacho, La Molina
- Goodfellows in Peru. Missionary family looking for a teacher to homeschool their kids.
- Headway College
- Hiram Bingham College, Av. Paseo La Castellana 919 Surco, email@example.com
- ICPNA, (their job listings)
- Ingles Conversacional, Cdra 54 de Benavides, Miraflores, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Inlingua, Av Santa Cruz 888, Miraflores, email@example.com
- International Christian School of Lima (Teachers have to raise their own funds), Av. Angamos Oeste 1155 Miraflores, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Leaders, Jr. Marcos de Aramburú 531, Magdalena, email@example.com
- Leonardo Da Vinci College, Av. Curcunvalacion del Golf los Incas 472, Monterrico, firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com
- Liceo Naval “Almirante Guise”, Calle Monti 350, Alt Cdra 28 de Av Aviacion, San Borja
- Lord Byron School, Vina del Mar 375-379, Urb Sol de la Molina, La Molina, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Markham College (Must be a licensed teacher). Names of contact people. Early Years/Upper School: Av El Carmen s/n Monterrico, Surco. Lower School: Calle Augusto Angulo 291, San Antonio, Miraflores. Early Years: email@example.com, Lower School: firstname.lastname@example.org, Upper School: email@example.com
- Master Business English, firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com
- Monterrico Christian School (Teachers have to raise their own funds), Monterrico, Surco, firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com
- Multilingua, Av. Grimaldo del Solar No. 469, Miraflores, firstname.lastname@example.org
- New Horizons English Learning Centers, Av Paseo de la Republica 2151, Sta Catalina, La Victoria, Edward Miller, email@example.com
- Newton College (Must be a licensed teacher), Av. Ricardo Elias Aparicio 240. La Molina, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Nivel A
- PARI Cooperation, Salvador Dali 300 - San Borja. Reza, email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org
- Pontificia Universidad Catolica, Camino Real 1037 and Av Javier Prado Este 5495. email@example.com
- Sor Ana de los Angeles, firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com
- S Salazar Bondy, Av de Las Artes Norte 1269, San Borja
- Universidad Agraria La Molina, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Universidad de Piura, Calle Martir Jose Olaya 162. Julio Valladres, email@example.com or Connie Nalvarte, firstname.lastname@example.org, They give you a special OIM visa which is a type of diplomatic-volunteer visa that allows you to stay in Peru for a year. It's not a resident visa. Pay is about $700 a month and has been that way for the past ten years.
- Universidad de San Ignacio de Loyola, Av. La Fontana 550, La Molina. email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org
- World Communication, San Isidro, email@example.com
- AYNI (volunteer), m_orsi @ hotmail.com
- Headway College
- ICPNA, (their job listings), Apurímac 447, firstname.lastname@example.org
- IEP Bilingual Star, email@example.com
- Mundo Idiomas, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Universidad de Piura (UDEP), Av. Ramón Mugica 131, Urb. San Eduardo. Julio Valladares, email@example.com or Connie Nalvarte, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Universidad Cesar Vallejo, Prolog. Chulucanas s/n Zona Industrial 02,
- L and B Language School, Av. A 107, email@example.com
- Canadian Kids Montessori Pre-school, Melissa Rey, firstname.lastname@example.org, Telephone: (044) 461144
- El Cultural, Av. Venezula 125, Urb El Recreo and Av Larco 296
- Instituto Superior, Leonardo Da Vinci, Av. España 200. and Av. España 2725, email@example.com
- Sir Alexander Fleming College (Go to “Our Team” then click on “Working at Fleming”), Av. América Sur 3701
- Universidad Cesar Vallejo, Jr. Independencia 843
- Universidad Privada Antenor Orrego (Language Centre), Av. America Sur 3145, Monserrate Pabellón D, First Floor
- Universidad Nacional de Trujillo, Av. España 2124, firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com
The LA Job List recommends: